Wednesday 24 April 2013

Hedge sitting

Hedge 2, view from Clarks Close towards Sandy Hill Copse

Dead tree makes fine den for sheep, looking over Sherborne
Last minute changes meant no Bat count this week, Mike occupied in the morning with meetings and me flying solo on Hedge duty. So I was challenged with completing the Chicken fencing for Hedge 2 and this meant tackling the existing thorny sections from the remains of the original hedge, some 200+ years old. It also was to be my turn in joining up the 3 sections of chicken fencing needed for this 120+ metre run and this proved tough on my fingers! On the plus side there are worse places to spend your time with great views over the Sherborne village and park land. The sheep proved entertaining expecting food every time I moved the 4x4 plus their many lambs were clearly enjoying the fine weather and freedom to play. Had a quick lunch break visiting Sandy Hill copse and was impressed with the Douglas firs that exist there.

Mike joined me in the afternoon and while I finished off work on Hedge 2 he set to on planting the blackthorn, hawthorn and hazel for Hedge 1. I joined him later on in the afternoon to help in the planting. True to form I hit a rocky section for my first plantings which brought back memories of planting ash saplings in the East Belt. Fortunately it did get easier although Mike's rate of planting was as usual a good deal faster than mine! Still, pretty good progress was made and Hedge 1 was well on the way to completion by close of play. With the volunteer group in tomorrow there was every chance for completing the planting for Hedge 1 and Hedge 2. Overall a pretty good effort in constructing 2 new Hedges, all we need now is some reasonable rainfall to help establish the new Hedge plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment