Wednesday 22 August 2012

and in the end? a Dark Knight construction tale

 Maddie paying suitable attention to my safety talk

More Acrow props, poles and timber wedges

Final phase of Dark Knight construction, 'discrete' exposure


Yep today marked final phase of the Bat cave upgrade. Started in the workshop with Mike on 'clamp' duty where this time with the aid of WD40 plus a vice I ensured we had sufficient working swivel and fixed clamps.  Mike meanwhile scavenged around the yard for more timber for ceiling supports. Morris, our Dark Knight, met up with us at the Sherborne offices and we set off once more for the Bat cave.  Usual duties applied leaving me outside on safety and butterfly watch {whites, peacocks and red admiral today}with Mike & Morris continuing construction.

Lunch time review revealed that we were running out of materials and the overall amount of work was exceeding estimates i.e. we wouldn't complete today! Other good news was more scaffolding poles were needed today and the really good news was three 21 foot poles were available in the nursery. They just needed a volunteer to carry them over to the workshop for cutting down to size, good job my mornings work hadn't been too strenuous so problem solved. Still I did manage to observe a kestrel , several swallows , house martins and a fiesty swan chasing off 2 canada geese on Sherborne brook as I slowly carried the poles back to the workshop. 

During the afternoon Morris and Mike carried on with their stirling work with Maddie and me on duty outside. Ended the day with an appraisal of what was left to do, what extra materials needed to be found and when was the next session. Sadly I'll be away for final completion but hopefully Mike will record details I can view on my return. Of course the clock is ticking since the bats will be slowly returning to this roost during September, but by then this upgrade will be done. A good and very cost effective piece of conservation work down to mainly Mike and Morris with a little help from their friends {me, Simon and Maddie} !

No comments:

Post a Comment